Innovation Systems and Technological Development
This course is focused on innovation system, how they can be decomposed for critical analysis and management. The course was designed and developed for students and graduates of engineering majors to equip them with knowledge and skills on innovation systems of different levels and technological development. It aims for understanding of today’s importance of innovation in business environment and draws attention to interconnection of innovation policies and innovation activities of all levels (from global to local) in innovation systems.
The course's takeaways for the learners are:
- tools and approaches for holistic understanding of innovation and technological development of countries and regions;
- skills in systems analysis, complex problem solving and critical thinking while understanding innovation systems around us.
Upon successful completion of the course, the learners will be expected to be able to:
- Apply systems analysis by exploring innovation systems of different levels to determine dynamics in innovation systems change
- Differentiate societal and economic context of innovative development of countries, regions and territories to interpret the relations between components of innovation systems of different levels
- Select and compare innovation metrics and reflect on innovation systems performance
- Evaluate the role of innovation on micro, meso and macro levels of economic performance in the framework of technological development
- Design the institutional profile of the national innovation system to critically assess innovation systems functions and dysfunctions
- Complete a SWOT analysis to evaluate the national innovation system and provide recommendations for improvement of national, regional, sectoral innovation policies and innovative industries performance
The course structure includes the following modules:
- Systems in Social Sciences and Humanities.
- National Systems of Innovation.
- Innovation Activity in Regions and Territories through Regionalization and Localization Theories
- Measuring Innovation: Statistics and Multi-faceted Approaches.
- Technological Trajectories of National Systems of Innovation: from Assessments to Foresights.