Theory of Inventive Problem Solving (TRIZ)
The proposed course is focused on the analytical skills development which can be used for technical systems improvement. Common systematic approach described in the course covers all the stages of solution development: searching for information about the technical system, analyzing existing problems, building conceptual solutions and eliminating contradictions at the final stage of development. The course can be useful for a wide audience. The knowledges received can be used for patent search, circumvention of existing patents, finding ready-made solutions for an existing technical problem, performing marketing research on a product line development. The suggested systematic approach guarantees the extension of the variety of resources which can be used for problem solving, therefore the number of solutions at every stage of development increases. Significant part of the course discusses task formalization methods. Analytical approach for initial data systematization includes building component, structural and functional models of the technical system as well as tools for modifying these models. High attention is paid to alternative solutions searching methods: benchmarking, feature transfer, function-oriented search, usage of biomimetic analogies, etc. Important part of the course is represented by spatial thinking exercises, allowing to feel the progress of building a new technical solution and its stages. Practical tasks of the course are built on the real examples concerning new products development.
During the course you will:
- Discuss found solutions with your colleagues studying the same course;
- Take part in brain teasers;
- Make draft drawings and block diagrams.
- Apply the systematic approach for inventive problems solving
- Solve real technological problems with a lack of initial information
- Apply the tools for inventive design
- Optimize the process of inventive problem solving
Upon successful completion of the course the learner is expected to be able to:
- Distinguish conceptual design phase and instruments of it
- Search and analyze patent landscape
- Analyze the possibilities and prospects of a new product development
- Identify the voice of the product and forecast technology evolution
- Evaluate design concepts from managerial and production prospectives
Course workload is equivalent to 3 ECTS.
- Creativity, innovations and inventions, psychological inertia
- Patents, patent search, intellectual property
- Functional analysis
- Functional-oriented search
- Ideal final result
- Trends of technical systems development